Designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Committee, as well as listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Sara Delano Roosevelt House’s demise seemed unsuitable for a house that once flourished and influenced American Presidential history. Originally designed by Charles A. Platt, this 6-story, 20,000-square-foot structure was designed in the English Georgian style of buff-colored brick and limestone.
A comprehensive environmental graphics and donor recognition program was developed for the renovated building. Distinct, commemorative elements include 2 large-scale wall murals celebrating the legacy of Franklin Delano and Eleanor Roosevelt. The first mural is located at the entrance to the lecture hall and is a typographic celebration of FDR’s “Four Freedoms” 1941 State of the Union address; the second mural is located at the far end of the lecture hall and is a photographic celebration of the couple’s public and private lives.
The designers also worked closely with Hunter College senior staff members on the development and design of a fundraising campaign promotional brochure for the House.
Back to top
New York, New York
Publications and Recognitions
New York Landmarks Conservancy
© Poulin + Morris Inc. All rights reserved 2017.